Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (SBA) or Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) is a nation-wide campaign in India. That aims to clean up the streets, roads and infrastructure of India’s cities, towns, and rural areas. The campaign’s official name is in Hindi and translates to “Clean India Mission” in English. The objectives of Swachh Bharat include reduction of open excretion. Through the construction of societal-owned toilets. Run by the Government of India, the mission aims to achieve an “open-defecation free” (ODF) India by 2 October 2019. By constructing 90 million toilets in rural India. The mission will also contribute to India reaching Sustainable Development Goal 6 (SDG 6), established by the UN in 2015.
The campaign was officially launched on 2 October 2014 at Rajghat, New Delhi. It is India’s largest cleanliness drive to date with three million government employees and students. Modi has called the campaign Satyagrah se Swachhagrah in reference to Gandhi’s Champaran Satyagraha.
The mission has two thrusts:
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (“Gramin” or ‘Rural’), which operates under the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (‘Urban’), which operates under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
Volunteers have promoted indoor plumbing and community approaches to sanitation (CAS) at the village level. Other non-governmental activities include:
- national real-time monitoring
- updates from non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
That are working towards its ideas of Swachh Bharat.
The government has constructed 86 million toilets since 2014. Reducing the number of persons who openly excrete from 550 million to fewer than 150 million in 2018.Many people continue to not use toilets despite having them. The campaign has been criticized for using violent approaches to force people to use toilets.
Swachh Bharat Mission Finance Project 2019 – [Website]
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is expected to cost over Rs. 620 billion . The government provides an incentive of Rs. 12,000 for each toilet constructed by a below-poverty-line (BPL) family. An amount of Rs. 90 billion was allocated for the mission in the 2016 Union budget of India. The World Bank provided a US$1.5 billion loan and $25 million in technical assistance in 2016 for the Swachh Bharat Mission. The programme has also received funds and technical support from
- The World Bank corporations as part of corporate social responsibility initiatives
- State governments.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Planned Initiatives
The Government appointed CPWD with the responsibility to dispose off waste from Government offices. The Ministry of Railways planned to have the facility of cleaning on demand, clean bed-rolls from automatic laundries, bio-toilets, dustbins in all non-AC coaches. The Centre will use its Digital India project in conjunction with the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to have solar-powered dustbins, which send alerts to sanitation crew once they are full. The Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya campaign was launched by the Minister of Human Resource Development, Government of India by participating in the cleanliness drive along with the school’s teachers and students.
Selected public figures of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in Hindi
Prime Minister Modi selected following public figures to propagate this campaign.
- Sachin Tendulkar(cricketer)
- Priyanka Chopra(actress)
- Baba Ramdev
- Salman Khan (actor)
- Vidya Balan (actress)
- Shashi Tharoor
- Team : TMKOC
- Amitabh Bachchan(actor)
- Mridula Sinha
- Kamal Hasan (actor)
- Virat Kohli (cricketer)
- M S Dhoni (cricketer)
- Anushka Sharma
Vice President of India M V Naidu picked up a broom to help clean the cyclone-hit port city of Visakhapatnam as part of the cleanliness campaign.
Brand Ambassadors of Swachh Bharat Mission List PDF
On 2 October 2014, Prime Minister Modi nominated following people as Brand Ambassadors:
- Kapil Sharma (comedian)
- Sourav Ganguly (cricketer)
- Kiran Bedi (Former IPS officer)
- Padmanabha Acharya(Nagaland Governor)
- Sonal Mansingh (classical dancer)
- Ramoji Rao (Eenadu group)
- Aroon Purie (India Today group)
He also nominated a number of organizations, including the ICAI as well as the dabbawala of Mumbai.
From later dates following were made part of the mission
- Sanjay Dutt (Actor), from 2018
- Juhi Chawla (Actress), from 2018
- Shilpa Shetty (Actress), from February 2017
- Raveena Tandon (Actress), from February 2017
Swachh Sarvekshan Annual Cleanliness Survey [Case Study]
Swachh Sarvekshan is an extensive sanitation survey across several hundred cities. It checks the progress and impact of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and to foster a spirit of competition among the cities.
The performance of each city is evaluated on six parameters:-
- Municipal solid waste, sweeping, collection and transportation
- Municipal solid waste, processing and disposal of solid waste
- Open defecation free/toilets
- Capacity building and eLearning
- Provision of public & community toilet seats
- Information, education and communication, and behaviour change.